- United Way began as a Community Chest and then became United Fund of Wells County in 1966.
- United Way of Wells County is a locally governed, volunteer driven organization.
- The local board is comprised of 13-17 community leaders.
- The first full-time executive director was hired in 1999.
- We are members of United Way Worldwide, Indiana Association of United Ways and the Northeast Indiana Consortium of United Ways/Funds, a regional collaborative.
- The focus of United Ways has shifted over the last few years from fundraisers and allocators of those funds to community impact. Our United Way has embraced this three-legged approach to doing business. We are in the business of improving lives with sustained changes in our community.
In 1999, United Way of Wells County began a board transformation as an outgrowth of a strategic planning session. They are governed by a board president. Each board member is asked to sit on at least one committee and take an active role. New by-laws were approved in 2010.